Relationship Breakdown

Relationships are complicated

As family law solicitors, we deal with many situations and emotive topics within a relationship breakdown. However, we find that people are largely unaware of the benefits of seeking legal advice on family topics or that they are just not informed of potential pitfalls that may come their way.   

For example, everyone knows there could be legal complications behind divorce, but what about an unmarried couple who doesn’t want to be together anymore?   Especially if they’ve been together for a few years, and there are children involved, it is not just a case of each party going their own way. 

Society has changed and the legal system with it.   This is all the more reason you should seek legal advice in the case of a relationship breakdown.

At Robertsons Solicitors, we believe everyone should have a chance to make their voice heard.   We know that consulting a solicitor can be intimidating and stressful.  That is why we will try to make you feel at home. We are people just like you, and we are here to help.   

It doesn’t always have to be difficult. We will discuss your situation may be suitable for mediation. At times, this can lead to a more stress-free conclusion. If it doesn’t, or mediation is not possible, we will work with you to bring the matter to the best conclusion possible. Married, in a civil partnership, or cohabiting – there are different laws for different circumstances. We will help navigate the legal aspects and provide firm and appropriate advice to deal with your specific situation.

Relationship Breakdown FAQs

You can get divorced in England or Wales if your relationship has permanently broken down after at least one year of marriage.   (Your marriage must be legally recognised in the UK.)

You can illustrate that your marriage has broken down irretrievably if there has been adultery, desertion, or unreasonable behaviour. The ‘Divorce, Dissolution and Separation Act of 2020’ is now applicable in the UK.  Couples can now no longer make allegations about the conduct of a spouse (or place blame) and a marriage can be ended if one party believes that the marriage has irretrievably broken down.  The new reform in UK divorce law is expected to result in more harmonious separations.

You will need your original marriage certificate or a certified copy thereof. In addition, you must have the other party's full name and current address.  To apply, you must also pay a fee.  Robertsons Solicitors will be happy to help if you wish to start your divorce proceedings.

This is a process of resolving legal issues where the parties decide to sit with their solicitors and iron things out.  Each person has their own lawyer who can give them legal advice.  The collaborative process can be used when couples get together (for example, to establish a prenuptial agreement) or when they separate.

If you have no legal documents or an agreement, you may only have the automatic right to stay in the house where you live if you own it.  In addition, you may have no right to receive maintenance from a partner.  Child maintenance is another matter, though.

The whole process of a cohabitating couple who wants to separate can be complex, depending on property owned, if they had children and more.  Consider seeking legal advice to ensure you've covered all the bases.

Our Expert Team

Our expertise is how we maintain our strong reputation as a law firm.

Meet The Family Law Team