Families are great. You are supported and loved here, and someone will always ensure you are alright. Even as an adult, an ordinary Sunday lunch can feel like coming home in such families.
Therefore, it is because families are so wonderful that it hurts so much when something goes wrong. Relationships end and divorce happens. The repercussions are like widening circles in a pond and sometimes come without warning or forethought.
At Robertsons Solicitors, we practice family law focusing on divorce and guiding families through dispute and separation, child support and custody, paternity rights, pre-and post-nuptial agreements, wardship, and more.
Our dedicated family law solicitors at Robertsons realise that there are unique challenges in divorce proceedings and marriage disputes. We are committed to providing the best quality of service in family law.
We can protect assets, deal with matters around children, and we are also able to tackle international issues for those who reside outside the UK or are married to a non-UK national.
What is the best way to settle a family dispute?
There are various ways to go about it. At Robertsons Solicitors, we will look at your situation before giving advice, but here are a few tried and trusted methods:
- Sit around the kitchen table. This is the least invasive way to settle a dispute. The parties come together and talk things out. It is essential, though, to put what you decide in writing and ensure everyone understands the agreement’s legal implications. Talk to one of our family law solicitors if you are unsure.
- Family therapy. A professional counselor can help your family talk and resolve a dispute. But, again, make sure you cover all the legal bases.
- Mediation or arbitration. A mediator is a neutral person with the skills to help manage and facilitate discussions. Arbitration is more formal and is a substitute for the court system. An arbitrator acts like a judge and his decision about your dispute will be binding. Our experienced solicitors at Robertsons Solicitors can help support and represent you through such a process.
- Getting a solicitor to help. One can use the collaborative process where the parties to the dispute, together with their solicitors, have round-table meetings to address issues one by one. A solicitor can also negotiate a settlement on your behalf.
- Going to court. Sometimes going to court can be the only option to settle a dispute. Robertsons Solicitors can help make this process as pain-free as possible.
How do I choose a family law solicitor?
The best divorce or family law solicitor for you is someone with whom you feel comfortable and who has the best experience in dealing with your case.
Our team at Robertsons include divorce experts and professionals used to deal with complex cases involving children. Getting a reasonable cost estimate and transparency of how your case will be run when you choose the firm you want to work with, is also essential.